The Lawrence Community Shelter (LCS) is excited to announce a partnership proposal from Studio 804, the renowned architecture program led by Dan Rockhill, J.L., Distinguished Professor of Architecture at the University of Kansas, to build Monarch Village, an innovative new addition of 12 “tiny homes,” which will provide safe haven to families as they pass through LCS on their way to permanent housing.
The 12 homes will be installed along the east and south sides of the shelter’s community garden. A new monarch butterfly trail with walkways leads to the 900-square-foot commons area with picnic tables directly north of the garden. The walkways will then continue up to a south side entry into the current shelter structure.
Each 160-square-foot tiny home at Monarch Village will feature a shower, toilet, and kitchenette. The homes will have two sleeping quarters, offering parents and children their own private spaces.
Monarch Village will allow the shelter to maintain its current capacity, while reducing the number of guests sleeping in the dorms, facilitating better social distancing, and thus creating a safer environment in the COVID-19 era … read more
MONARCH VILLAGE AT A GLANCE
- 12 tiny dwelling units (160 sq ft each) located onsite
- The units will surround a working vegetable garden and butterfly waystation on an existing half acre of green space on the south side of LCS
- Provides access to quarantine and isolation for up to 12 households experiencing homelessness
- Capacity to shelter for up to 48 individual family members, once the need for quarantine and isolation is reduced
- Construction begins September 2020, with units completed and installed by March 2021
- Up to 40% of the project costs will be in-kind contributions from Studio 804
- LCS needs to fundraise $500,000 by the end of 2020 to complete the project on time
To donate, please use the secure form on this page, or feel free to send a check (with “Monarch Village” in the memo line) to: Meghan Bahn, Lawrence Community Shelter, 3655 E. 25th St., Lawrence, KS 66046.