Imagine this happy day: after six weeks at the shelter with her baby boy, a mother has worked hard with our Stabilization Manager and just picked up the key to an affordable apartment, which will become her family’s new, and hopefully permanent, home! She’ll be back on her feet.
But the apartment is completely empty. No bed to sleep in. No dresser for clothes. No couch to sit on. No table or dishes. Nothing.
That’s where the Move-Out Program comes in.
Our volunteer Move-Out Coordinators work with shelter staff, case managers at all of our partner agencies, and donors like you to make sure that no individual or family exiting homelessness in Lawrence needs to move into a new apartment without the basics: bed(s), dresser(s), couch, table, chairs, kitchenware. (And more, when possible.)
If you would like to donate furniture and/or other household items, please consult the list under the CURRENT NEEDS tab on this page and then complete the form under the DONATIONS tab!
Ordinarily, you can expect to hear back within three days, although occasionally it might take a day or so more. (The program is coordinated entirely by volunteers.)
During the COVID-19 crisis, we will proceed cautiously and safely.
- This program is run by four volunteer coordinators, Laura, Will, Hazlett, and Dan, with the assistance of our volunteer helper, Cooper. Depending on the item(s) that we are picking up or dropping off, either one or two of us will arrive at the scheduled time.
- If two of us are required, we will arrive in separate vehicles.
- We will wear masks while indoors and ask that you and anyone else in the household do too.
- We will maintain social distance from each other and from you or anyone else in the household, and we ask that you be careful to maintain social distance as well.
If you are a case manager at a partner agency, please complete the form under the CASE MANAGERS tab.
If you’d like to join our mailing list and receive occasional emails from us, please use the form under the MAILING LIST tab to sign up! And feel free to contact us here.
It is difficult for those of us who have never been without a home to grasp just how hard it is to exit homelessness. By furnishing apartments, we remove one barrier. That’s what we do.
When an individual or family is getting ready to move into an apartment, we come up with a list of needs together, coordinate a time for the delivery, load one (or more) of our pickup trucks at the warehouse, arrive as scheduled, and complete the move. Within an hour or two, an empty apartment looks and feels like a home.
We rely entirely on your generosity. Because our warehouse space is limited, we are only able to accept the specific items listed under the CURRENT NEEDS tab on this page. If you have signed up for our mailing list, you will receive occasional emails updating you about our work and our needs! Or please feel free to monitor this page, which is updated regularly.
If you’d like to learn more, or if you have a truck and think you might be interested in serving as a volunteer Move-Out Coordinator, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with Dan!
We are only able to accept the specific items listed below.
But please check back because our needs change — and this page gets updated — regularly.
If you have any of the following to donate, please complete the form under the DONATIONS tab above, and Dan will be in touch right away (ordinarily within three days) to arrange the pick-up.
We are unable to accept any king-sized mattresses, futons, or heavy foam mattresses.
Please note: unusually heavy items (such as sofa beds and recliner couches) pose logistical challenges for us in the warehouse, where stocks frequently need to get rearranged, and for guests, who may often be moving again in the near future.
This page will be updated as our needs change!
Current, specific needs:
- Box springs (queen, full, and twin) *** PLEASE NOTE: WE VERY MUCH NEED BOX SPRINGS (ALL THREE SIZES) RIGHT NOW!
- Mattresses (queen, full, and twin)
- Fitted sheets (queen, full, and twin, with size labeled, please)
- Fully adjustable metal bed frames, adjustable to twin, full, or queen, like this (please confirm your frame is adjustable to all three sizes, not just twin and full, with no moving parts or screws, and with no castors missing; and please note, this is the only kind of bed frame that we can accept — we cannot take frames with rails, headboards, footboards, etc.)
- Couches and love seats
- Dining room / kitchen tables (especially smaller ones!) and chairs
- Coffee tables
- Countertop microwaves
- TVs (flat-screen / digital-compatible only; not too heavy)
- Dishes, bowls, pots, pans, cups / glasses (nothing delicate), and silverware
We do not accept financial donations — we encourage you to consider donating to the shelter!
We are only able to accept the specific items listed under the CURRENT NEEDS tab above.
After consulting our list of CURRENT NEEDS, please complete this form, and Dan will be in touch within three days (occasionally it might take a day or so more) to arrange the pick-up!
If you are a case manager in Lawrence and would like the Move-Out Program to furnish a client’s new apartment, please complete as much of this form as you can. (We respect privacy concerns: all fields requesting client information are optional.)
As soon as we receive your form, we will be in touch by email within 5 days at the very most to discuss safety and health procedures and to arrange a time for Dan, Laura, Hazlett, and/or Will to bring the items to the new apartment.