Emergency Shelter Program Manager
The Lawrence Community Shelter in Lawrence, KS seeks to hire a dynamic and talented Emergency Shelter Program Manager.
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to Kenneth Yates at email@example.com with the subject line: Emergency Shelter Program Manager Applicant.
Function: The Emergency Shelter Program Manager serves as the direct manager for the Direct Service Advocates, schedules and supervises all DSAs, and helps facilitate successful supports and interventions for LCS clients in coordination with the LCS Care Coordination team and their partners.
The Shelter Program Manager works collaboratively with the Care Coordination Manager, Family Program Manager, and Community Engagement Manager to ensure a safe, secure, and efficient program and facility.
Salary: $35,000 annually
Reports to: Director of Programs
Supervises: Direct Service Advocates
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
DSA Supervision and Team Coordination
- Schedule DSA staff for all shifts, resolve scheduling issues, and fill in scheduling gaps as needed.
- Coordinate meaningful DSA meetings twice a month that address client issues, issues with teamwork, and build on training and professional development provided in All-Staff meetings
- Supervise DSAs on a regular basis. Meeting one-on-one with DSAs once a month by phone or in person and provide regular and meaningful feedback about job performance, conduct, and attendance.
- Help ensure effective communication across shifts.
- Escalate personnel issues to the Program Director as necessary.
- Ensure full 24/7 staff or volunteer coverage of the shelter.
- Delegate relevant operational tasks to the DSA team as necessary, and manage towards successful completion of tasks.
- Coordinate and supervise day-to-day shelter operations and client service delivery.
- Communicate and coordinate with the Director of Finance and Operations on relevant facility and operational issues.
- Communicate and coordinate with the Program Director on the implementation of programs and services.
- Coordinate with the Community Engagement Manager on accomplishing or delegating daily tasks and projects relating to coordination of volunteers and in-kind donations.
- Maintain knowledge of current shelter policies and procedures. Train and supervise DSAs on policy and procedure changes.
- Help assure a safe, clean, supportive, and trauma-informed environment.
- Coordinate special projects as assigned.
Client Services and Programs
- Understand the goals of the Emergency Shelter program and drive service delivery towards achievement of program outcomes as defined by the Executive Director and Director of Programs.
- Maintain a safe, trauma-informed, low-barrier, housing-focused emergency shelter.
- Model appropriate physical and emotional boundaries with guests and enforce and train DSA team to maintain same.
- Communicate Emergency Shelter rules to every guest and consistently enforce those rules at all times.
- Provide direct service to clients through crisis intervention, counseling, case management, client grievance/dispute resolution, outreach, and other service activities as necessary in conjunction with the Care Coordination Manager.
- Delegate program and support tasks to the appropriate DSA staff.
- Facilitate the emergency shelter program partnership model by ensuring that clients connect to partner case managers and partner providers successfully with the goal of moving into permanent housing as quickly as possible.
Data Quality Assurance and Grant Management
- Work in conjunction with Leadership Team to ensure compliance with all grant and funder-mandated rules and regulations in the Emergency Shelter program.
- Maintain paper client records and data systems in manner required by the Emergency Solutions Grant (ESG) program.
- Help Leadership Team prepare for annual audits of client data and records by ESG and CDBG program managers.
- Ensure quality and data collection on the part of the DSA team and conduct weekly audits of data by the DSA team entered in the Apricot/MAACLink platforms
- Use data to assess program outcomes and quality of service delivery, and work with the Leadership Team to develop technical and adaptive solutions to achieve better outcomes for LCS guests and clients.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Exercise within program guidelines. Ability to supervise day-to-day operations of the Shelter and its staff.
- Outstanding communication and attentive listening skills (including phone/email communication as well as excellent writing and speaking abilities).
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to manage time efficiently.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively on multiple projects, including prioritizing, overseeing, participating and bringing projects to completion in a timely manner.
- Ability to work closely with and involve shelter team as partners, co-workers and competent agents of change.
- Ability to de-escalate situations, stay calm, and stay emotionally available in a crisis oriented environment.
- Ability to exercise tact, discretion, and judgment in working with a variety of people.
- Ability to work flexible schedules and/or be on-call.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Social Work, Public Administration, Non-Profit Management, or related field.
- Experience in program management and staff supervision.
- Experience working with veterans, homeless individuals, disabled individuals, and/or families in need and culturally diverse populations, or with a social service agency.
- Knowledge and training in working with homeless, chemical dependency, mental illness and crisis intervention techniques.
- Valid driver’s license required. Must meet company insurance requirements.
- Experience working with mental health, trauma, and/or crisis intervention.
- Successfully pass any required pre-employment background and drug screening
Job Type: Full time, Salaried, Exempt position. Some weekend/evening/holiday hours will be required.
Benefits include: Health, dental, and vision coverage, paid sick and vacation time, 9 paid holidays, ability to craft a flexible schedule.